October 07, 2012

October 07, 2012 - Delicious Pulled Pork

Now, this is going to be a first here. I'm going to use a little break after this little thing up here for the recipe. Mostly because it's fairly long and I plan on adding some notes of my own. These notes will be in italics and bulleted. The recipe is from the Company's Coming 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes book (Barbecued Pulled Pork page 103) and I recommend you buy the book if you need quick, cheap recipes for your own slow cooker.

I'm posting this one because, so far, it's my favourite one from the book and it will last you a while if you are only feeding yourself!

Enjoy!




Barbecued Pulled Pork

2           Boneless pork shoulder butt roasts (about 2 3/4 lbs, 1.25 kg each)
3 cups   Hickory barbecue sauce
3 tbsp   Apple cider vinegar
4           Garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp powder)
2 tsp     Worscestershire sauce


Put roasts into 5 to 7 quart (5 to 7 L) slow cooker.

Combine 2 cups barbecued sauce, remaining 3 ingredients and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water in medium bowl. Pour over roasts. Cook, covered, on High for 4 to 5 hours until tender. Transfer roasts to large plate. Shred pork using 2 forks. Remove and discard any visible fat. Skim and discard fat from sauce. Return pork to sauce. Add remaining barbecue sauce. Stir. Cook, covered, on High for 30 minutes until heated through. Makes about 10 cups (2.5 L).



  • Because I couldn't find the cut the recipe called for, I used a boneless pork shoulder blade roast that weighed about the same as the 2 shoulder butt roasts. Turned out fine.
  • I used the powdered garlic. I imagine it works just as well as minced. I find it easier to keep on hand because it doesn't go bad.
  • While I'm sure any barbecue sauce would work, I would start with the hickory just to see if you like it that way to begin with. Then you can experiment with different barbecue sauces.
  • The slow cooker I have is a 6 quart and it works fine with plenty of room so no need to worry about space for the roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment